Well I was surprised when my husband taught me that Calabasas is actually zucchini in Spanish. Of course, calabases is also pumpkin or any other squash. Seems much easier to me to have one name for the same family. And I love the calabasas family.
The other day, we came home from a long hot morning with empty stomachs. What to eat what to eat? What to east?
After texting my sister in law how hungry I was and all I had in the fridge was some left over Spanish Rice (or orange rice if you're in Mexico) and I was desperate!
She responded back with "Calabases!"
You know when you're hungry and you have absolutely nothing in the kitchen? You can't see the forest for the trees...I think that applies in this situation.
After opening a few drawers and cupboards I realized we had everything we needed! Yes!
I rounded up these babies.
Actually the local zucchini here in the Dominican Republic looks different than the zucchini in the states. Here I had some imported that I picked up at the grovery store. One day I'll show you a picture of the local zucchini, it's very similar just tastes a little more citrus-y. I also had eggplant that I thought I would throw in there...what the hay.
Next I cubed these babies up, and tossed them in the pan with a little olive oil, garlic, and s&p.
Oh, and I snuck in the corn as well...my favorite part! After a little sauteing until the veggies were cooked, I added some cheese. All vegans can skip these next two steps.
Usually the recipe calls for mozzarella, but we had light Gouda so I went with it. Next comes the sour cream for creamy goodness. Like how I got artsy with the camera work here?
I incorporated the sour cream just enough. Then I poured all of the yumminess over my forlorn Spanish Rice.
And yes that kernel of corn that jumped ship was thrown right back into the bowl.
This is one of my favorite foods. My husband does not like zucchini, or tomato, or onion, or eggplant, or even rice really. His loss. Although I agree with him about eggplant, it's been a long road with me and eggplant, and we can't seem to get on good terms. Next time I will not include eggplant with the delicious calabasas!
Hopefully one day I'll look back on these pics and shake my head at my poor photography skills, and celebrate the fact that my skills have improved...let's see!
-M






No comments:
Post a Comment