Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April Showers bring...Farmers' Markets!

Winters are long, grey, wet, and seem to drag to an unnatural time of year. It’s almost May and we still have threat of snow! To me, spring is when I start to make my goals for the year. It’s when I feel that we are out of the grey, and into the gloriously long NW days (6am-9pm!). Warm days but cool nights. These are all little ways of motivating me to stick to my goals.

Our local farmers’ market opened up two weeks ago. Although right now the pickings are slim, it’s just a reminder that the choices I make about what to purchase, consume, and support are up to me. I vacillate between two thoughts:

“My husband and I are only two people. The choices we make don’t make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things. The effect on my bank account is more noticeable!”

And

“When I buy more conscientiously I feel content knowing that I did something for my health, for the health of my husband, and the health of the earth in a little way”

Buying locally and organically is difficult. When money is tight, I tend to think more towards option A. Even though the prices are only a little higher (.50 cents here, $2 dollars more there), it all adds up. Especially as we have to get used to things spoiling faster, or not tasting the same (but mostly tasting better!), and taking more time to prepare. I am trying to learn to do without in other areas of life, to make room for these positive changes.

As we head into the thick of spring I am excited! The fresh fruits and veggies available renew my determination.



First of all, I am determined to keep this year’s basil plant alive.

I’m not sure if I overwater them, or if there is not enough sunlight for my poor basil plants here in the NW. All I know is that this little guy will survive, or else!

This year will be different. I’ll make sure of that.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment